Curtin is committed to doing its utmost to reduce its green footprint on the planet. Staff can make a number of small changes to help ensure ICT use on campus is more environmentally friendly.
Practical Suggestions for Everyone
- On Friday night turn your screen and computer off. Turning off a computer that is not using automatic power management saves over 100 watts of electricity per hour. Over the weekend that saves over 6 kilowatt/hours.
- Consider turning your computer off at the end of each working day (there will be a short delay the next day while you reboot your computer, but each night you will have saved a further 1.4 kilowatt/hours).
- Print less paper and in black and white: Read electronically, print double-sided, and print in black and white. Curtin University policy is to have all printer settings defaulted to black and white. For further information on Managed Print Services.
- If your computer is more than 3 years old, replace it with a modern computer which consumes less power.
- If you are still using a CRT monitor, replace it with a modern flat-screen LCD panel which consumes less power.
- For staff familiar with Windows: Open the Power Options control panel and configure the monitor to be turned off after a certain period of inactivity. This will give some power saving benefits while incurring little risk.
- Recycling of your mobile devices is available at the Curtin Bookshop. The CITS Service Desk can assist you in wiping your devices before placing in the bins provided.